FORUMS FORUM RSSrss icon

Are artificial sweeteners (Canderel, etc.) bad for you?!

Forum Jump

View Unanswered Threads
Charlotteuk48
Send message
REPLY QUOTE Posted :
Subject: Are artificial sweeteners (Canderel, etc.) bad for you?!
Hi ladies

I am always watching my waistline and have recently totally substituted sugar for a low calorie sweetener. I have been having Sainsbury's own aspartame based sweetener on my rice krispies, in tea and coffee - I am even baking with it. In addition, I drink 2 or 3 cans of diet lemonade a day which contain aspartame too.

I read an article in a magazine yesterday which said a lot of aspartame can be very bad for you - it scared me actually, saying it can cause cancer and all sorts of other nasty things.

BUT then I thought if it were that dangerous, surely the supermarkets wouldn't be allowed to seel it would they?!

Anyone know anything about this?
sunshineuk10
Send message
REPLY QUOTE Posted :
Subject: Re: Are artificial sweeteners (Canderel, etc.) bad for you?!
Hi Charlotte I stopped taking artificial sweetners after suffering quite bad headaches that I linked with the sweeteners, I have heard that they aren't very good for you but I don't know on what scale, this was a few years ago but I never went back to them, I just put less sugar in my tea!!

You could look up a few websites and see what results you come up with xxx

take care love and hugs xx

Freebird52
Send message
REPLY QUOTE Posted :
Charlotte, have you tried fructose? It's a natural sugar and much better for you than artificial sweeteners. Personally, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Donna
MyCelticHeart
Send message
REPLY QUOTE Posted :
To quote Donna, I won't touch them with a bargepole either.

I've been looking into sugar, because, let's face it, it is not an easy substance to avoid completely, and one of the things I learned is that it is one of the most toxic substances on the planet. Apparently, aside from all the well known issues like bad for your teeth, diabetes, and weight gain, it does something to your arteries that can make it easier for cholesterol to stick to the walls. This applies to all sugars, even the more natural, less refined ones like honey.

In the interests of all things considered, I've decided to become pro~active in avoiding sugar, in all its forms, in the same way I treat salt and fat where possible.
[http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2820/9295074776_bd01bc4f34.jpg]
http://a-garden-intheshire.blogspot.co.uk/
Freebird52
Send message
REPLY QUOTE Posted :
Ysbryd,

SInce being diagnosed with diabetes, I've learned an awful lot about controlling blood sugars. A low carbohydrate diet reduces cholesterol and ingesting a lot of sugars increases it.

Donna x
Charlotteuk48
Send message
REPLY QUOTE Posted :
Thanks for your posts - think I'll be throwing my sweetener out when I get home! And to think I even started putting on my kid's weetabix instead of sugar! Will try using honey instead! xxx
bideshiuk
Send message
REPLY QUOTE Posted :
I think it's possible to worry too much about these things. That particular old chestnut has been doing the rounds for as long as I can remember. America has a much higher aspartamine take up and also a much stricter foodstuffs regulation than we do, and I think someone would have noticed if the cancer rates from aspartamine had spiralled. It always makes me groan when people say they are avoiding chemicals in food. Food IS chemical. Everything organic is chemical.

With a couple of type one diabetics in the house, including a teenager, diet drinks such as coke or lemonade are a bit of a treat in diets that can often seem restrictive and deprived. Believe me, Charlotte, I've seen these food scares come and go in the 50 years since I've been a reader, and most of them have been hot air.
Yelir__
Send message
REPLY QUOTE Posted :
I always think everything in moderation.

I use sweeteners in tea and coffee , but sugar for baking etc. I wouldnt give them to children though.

We could drive ourselves mad cutting out sugar, salt, fats and whatever the next thing that is bad for us comes around.I think Bideshi's " and most of them have been hot air" covers it

chickadie
Send message
REPLY QUOTE Posted :
I have always has sweeteners in my tea /coffee as long as i have been drinking them and am now 34 we to have a house hold of diabetics so sugar was always substituted and im still here and so is my family who have been using it for many many years before i came along. I agree with Bideshi if we followed all the health scares we would not eat at all. But it is a personal choice for each person
bideshiuk
Send message
REPLY QUOTE Posted :
Actually there are so many things that are supposed to be carcinogenic - new carpets and cars, emulsion paint fumes, exhaust emissions, smoked foods like salmon and bacon, tinned tuna, and so it goes on.

I prefer not to eat too much processed food, largely because it doesn't taste as good, but I don't beat myself up about the other stuff. And I'm sure not giving up smoked salmon!

Yelir's right. I wouldn't give it to children, because they don't have an informed choice. In fact I never put sugar on my kids breakfast cereal - what they never had, they never missed. Better to find something that tastes good without.

The funny thing is, that a significant proportion of surgeons and pathologists smoke! The raison d'etre is that you've got to die of something so you might as well do what you like. Don't try this at home, folks!
Who's online?

Join us here...

Click on a magazine title to see all its online features and news
Prima
Stain buster Our guide to removing smudges, spots, and other spills.
See more stain busting solutions >

Community

Directory View all offers

MORE FROM ALLABOUTYOU

View by magazine : View by magazine Prima