Drop a dress size: tips from fashion advisers
Top tips to dressing slim from those in the know
Top tips for dressing slim
1. First and foremost, make sure you are wearing the right size bra (remember 80% of women are wearing the wrong size!). A wonderful range of shapewear is now available that slims in seconds and can even improve your posture.
2. Create a column of the same colour with a contrasting jacket or shrug over the top eg, team a black vest and black trousers with a cream jacket. This trick elongates the silhouette and gives a balanced look.
3. Experiment with different necklines to find the one that suits you best. Some tips - a square neckline will minimise a larger bust, but avoid a slash neck or roll neck if you are curvy.
4. A well-cut pair of wide-leg trousers or an A-line skirt offsets the bum and hips, and is always flattering for a curvier girl.
5. It is worth taking time to find a fabulous pair of jeans, worn slightly long to elongate the leg. Jeans remain a key item and can be dressed up or down.
6. Be realistic about your shape and size, and be aware that different brands do vary in cut. Squeezing into too small sizes actually accentuates lumps and bumps - you will look slimmer and more comfortable in the right size.
What not to wear?
A lot of style advice about what not to wear really depends on figure and personality, but all women should consider the following guidelines when they shop:
*If you have a large bust, avoid breast pockets and this season's smock tops
*If you have curvy hips, avoid pockets on trousers and instead choose flat-fronted side-fastenings
*If you're petite, steer clear of bold patterns
*Remember, black (especially on the bottom half) is always slimming
*With a curvy figure, it's best to avoid bias-cut skirts or dresses as these highlight lumps and bumps.
*Always remember to make sure that it's you wearing the clothes, not the clothes wearing you!
Click for advice from:
Read all of our how-to guides and fashion advice and style advice stories here
More inspiration ...
Up-to-date advice - top fashion tips from the experts
Fashion finds to buy now, store long-term and keep forever!
How to wear colour: 10 top tips