My search for the best bin around has finally come to an end. And the winner is...
My kitchen bin mayhem began a couple of years ago when our council decided that we had to recycle food waste separately. This sent me on a bin quest that was to end in happiness. Here's how the route went...
First of all I bought a worktop food recyler like this kitchen caddy - it was nice looking and everyone used it, but we had too many peelings and teabags and ended up emptying it all the time.
I decided to try to find a pedal bin that was square and unobtrusive and would fit next to the bin I already had. I found one for £50 - it broke within two months. I was so angry at the waste of money. It seems to have gone off-sale now, but my moaning about it brought about the discovery that a lot of pedal bins (even pricey ones) are not strong enough and break easily.
Next I bought this rectangular pedal bin which was very good actually, but by now I had decided that I didn't really want two bins on the floor - it made the kitchen looked cluttered. The search for one perfect bin, with a food compartment and a rubbish compartment, began...
I started compulsively Googling 'slimline two-bucket pedal bins'; I carried the maximum measurements around with me and checked out bins everywhere - they were all just that bit two bulky. But eventually I found this beautiful bin - the simplehuman Deluxe Butterfly Recycler. I've had it over two months now and I am in love! Here's why...
1) It's slim enough to sit by my back door and still allow me to get a bike through.
2) It's very, very sturdy - it comes with a ten-year guarantee and I feel the two of us will be together for the decade!
3) It's beautiful - people actually comment: 'What a nice bin,' they say!
4) It somehow keeps smells in.
5) The food bin is big enough for me to only need to empty it once a week.
6) I don't fight it when I take the bin bags out - there's a clever little air hole that means there's no nasty suction to deal with.
7) I don't have to buy simplehuman bin liners, which are recommended for it - although they are neater with it and sometimes I treat my trusty bin to some.
The simplehuman Deluxe Butterfly Recycler costs £149.99, and I think it's worth every penny. Happily, my bin quest is well and truly over.
More kitchen fun on allaboutyou...
Editorial assistant on allaboutyou; Music lover, travel bee and food fanatic.Read more
Food consultant of All About You, loves creating something out of nothing and decluttering.Read more
Editor of All About You; an online journalist with a fetish for glossy magazines.Read more
Deputy editor of All About You. I love cycling, cooking and creatingRead more
Associate editor of All About You, loves life (mostly) and one-pan recipes (always).Read more
Editorial assistant on All About You; a Parisian in training and amateur baker.Read more
Editor of House Beautiful since 2006, Julia has been a journalist for over 30 years.Read more
Freelance food stylist, loves anything handmade and has a passion for DIY.Read more